My Friend Kitty

My friend Kitty and I have been pals for many years, now that I've moved away I don't get to see her as often, but I call her every morning on my drive to work and we talk for the 15 or 20 minutes it takes me to make my way to my office... no subject is off limits between us...

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Thunder and Lightning


My new car has voice activated blue tooth built in... my morning phone call to Kitty begins with the push of a button on my steering wheel and the command "Call Kitty"... the phone replies "calling Kitty... on mobile... say yes to continue"

"Hello"... Good morning! Time to rise and shine! Did you get thunder and lightning last night like we did? Man it was wild!

We love thunderstorms, the loudness, the rain, the wonder of it all...
When I was a little girl, my papaw would sit out on the porch where there was a tin roof, and listen to the rain and the storms and watch the lightning flash... sometimes I would sit with him and listen too... I loved it...
My Mama always loved storms too... and I grew up loving them... so did Kitty... we just don't understand the fear some people have of them... we love the power and the fireworks!

Neither of us were allowed to take baths or wash dishes during thunderstorm... maybe this added to our love for them...

Kitty said one time her Mom was in the bathroom during a storm and lightning ran through the water pipes and out the shower head ... hitting her Mom on the leg, leaving the mark of the shower head on her leg... she was never allowed to be near water during a storm...

I remembered once going innertubing with friends and family and it looked like a storm might be approaching... my then husband wouldn't let the kids go, loaded them back into the car and told the rest of us if we were crazy enough to go on, he would meet us at the bottom and he would have the kids with him... halfway down... a bolt of lightning hit the surface of the water (lightly I guess, because it wasn't life threatening or anything) and we all got a bit of a jolt... causing us to make the snap decision to get out of the water and go innertubing another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment